Developing Novel Functional Ingredients & Flavors
9:15 am Opening Address from Chair
9:30 am There Will be Blood: Heme as a Flavor Ingredient for Plant-Based Meat
- Rachel Fraser VP Downstream Processing, Impossible Foods
- We have developed a fermentation-based process to produce soy leghemoglobin using the yeast Pichia pastoris.
- Close collaboration between R&D and Engineering is key to developing a robust, scalable process that meets yield, product quality, and throughput requirements.
- As scale increases, process simplification becomes critical
10:00 am Solid State Fermentation for Sensorial Excellence
- BZ Goldberg Chief Executive Officer, The Mediterranean Food Lab
- The central barrier to widespread consumer acceptance of meat analogues is “The Consumer Experience Gap”. Current products are gaining popularity, but players wanting to grow, or even maintain market share will need to significantly improve the sensorial profiles of their products.
- At the Mediterranean food lab we use multi-stage, multispecies fermentation of plant protein, to produce natural plant-based flavor-bases for a wide range of meat replacement needs.
10:30 am Mushroom-Based Protein Fermentation
- Anthony Clark Chief Scientific Officer, MycoTechnology
- Mushrooms are an untapped kingdom, with just amazing potential for new ingredients, foods and nutrition
- Myco has developed bleeding-edge technology pushing the boundaries of biology to make commercial scale mushroom fermentation a reality
- Myco has Developed a highly nutritious, mushroom-based, ingredients and whole-food from the mycelium of gourmet mushrooms
11:00 am Replicating the Functionality of Animal-Derived Cheese
- Inja Radman Chief Scientific Officer, New Culture
With many alternative protein players struggling to match the texture and functionality of their animal-derived counterparts, this presentation will explore how fermentation-enabled technologies and proteins can enhance the texture of plant-based dairy and closely resemble the functionality of animal-derived products.
11:00 am Networking Break
Understanding Regulatory Framework to Accelerate Approval of your Alternative Proteins
12:00 pm OFAS Pre-Market Review Programs: An Introduction to Food Additives, Color Additives, and GRAS Ingredients
- Stephanie Hice Regulatory Review Scientist and Microbiology Reviewer, US FDA
- An introduction to the Federal Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) as it pertains to ingredients directly added to conventional food.
- An understanding of the pre-market review process for food and color additive petitions (FAPs and CAPs), including FDA’s safety review of FAPs and CAPs.
- An understanding of FDA’s GRAS Notification Program, including an overview of the program, FDA’s safety evaluation of GRAS notices, and the type of data and information we evaluate in microbial GRAS notices (e.g., ingredients produced by a microorganism, or an ingredient that is a microorganism).
12:30 pm Labeling and Advertising: Names, Claims, And Other Make-or-Break Issues
- Ricardo Carvajal Director, Hyman, Phelps & McNamara PC
- Learn the principles behind selecting an appropriate name for an ingredient and product.
- Understand the requirements that apply to claims used in labeling and advertising.
- Get an update on the latest legal and regulatory developments.
1:00 pm Networking Lunch
Communicating with your Customer & Increasing Customer Adoption of Alternative Protein Products
2:30 pm Marketing & Branding in a Flexitarian World
- Elysabeth Alfano Founder, Plant Powered Consulting
- Learn when and how to define your strategy
- Learn how to navigate the shifting plant-based landscape
- Learn the importance of and how to Put Your Brand Stake in the ground for maximum impact.
3:00 pm Communicating with the Consumer Through Effective Storytelling & Value Propositions
- Irina Gerry Chief Marketing Officer, Change Foods
- Explore how to develop a new purpose-driven brand/portfolio approach.
- Discuss the importance of choosing your value proposition (nutrition vs sustainability).
- Examine how to communicate with your consumers through effective storytelling.
3:30 pm Shifting Consumer Behaviour Towards Purchasing Alternative Protein Products
- Kimberlie Le Chief Executive Officer, Prime Roots
- Making a shift towards alternative proteins is essential to relieving the pressure put on our planet.
- There is a vast & exciting future in fermentation-based products because of the potential for better flavor and scalability.
- A key part of the consumer shift is encouraging small, easy swaps, rather than a total diet change.