All times shown in PST
7:45 am Morning Coffee
8:50 am Chair’s Opening Address
Illuminating Potential Partnerships & Equipping You With a Stable Supply Chain
9:00 am Securing a Reliable Supply Chain
- Carl Jones Plant Sciences Director, Mars Advanced Research Institute at Mars
- Post-pandemic, do you still have a reliable supply chain?
- Ensuring an undisrupted and quality supply of raw materials with carbon footprints consideration
- Benchmarking what needs to happen to reduce COGS? Building on your supplier relationship and diversity to increase flexibility and negotiation power
- What exactly constitutes a reliable supply chain?
9:30 am Fireside Chat: How to Partner with a CPG & National Retail Chain?
- Sarah Borg Program Manager Alternative Proteins, Hochland
- Frances Gilman Principal Scientist, Kraft Heinz
- Strategic alliance and partners for your distribution network
- Case study: how and when to start the partnership and market access conversation?
- Navigating the rise of e-commerce – is this the future of market penetration?
10:15 am Morning Coffee & Networking Break
Technical Track: Supercharging Your Scale-Up & Tech Transfer
11:00 am Investigating the Trade Off Between Titer & Yield
- Benchmarking what good looks like in a trade off between titer and yield?
- Clarifying what your goal is: is it quality or quantity?
- Discussion around what can affect titre/yield
- Balancing protein quality while maximizing titre concentration
- Overview of current metrics to measure yield and titre
11:30 am Identifying & Leveraging Meaningful CQAs from High Throughput Micro-Bioprocessing Platforms
- Joshua Livermore Head of Bioprocessing, Formo
- How do CQA parameters change during scale-up?
- What CQA parameters are of greatest importance?
- Elucidating process control strategy to ensure efficient scale-up
12:00 pm Impact of Physiochemical Properties & Stability for Alternative Fermentation Protein Production
- Bernd Gerhartz Chief Scientific Officer, Better Dairy
- Challenges caused by physical properties of the protein during research, scale-up and manufacturing
- Ensuring the functional integrity during manufacturing
- Overviewing types of stabilization protocols and how to implement them
Commercial Track: Accelerating Your Product Development Cycle from Lab to Commercial Production
11:00 am Bridging the Gaps between Development & Commercial Team for Launch Readiness
- Daniel Evans Chief Executive Officer, Evans & Company
- Preparation for scale-up: selecting the right CDMOs for tech transfer and capacity – but what to look out for?
- Internal and external stakeholder engagement with clear roadmaps and timeline
- Case study from a successful commercial launch – tips and practical takeaways to ensure a smooth regulatory filing with launch strategy in place
11:30 am Can Alternative Proteins Save Our Broken Food Chains?
- Jason Rosenberg Head of Business Development, Remilk
- Animal agriculture and its environmental footprint
- What we know about precision fermentation's footprint
- From trash to cash: the untapped circular-production potential
- Not only our planet: how companies too can benefit financially from alt-proteins' sustainable production
12:00 pm Challenges & Pitfalls of Scaling-Up a Fermentation Process
- Ismael Nieves Senior Director, Fermentation, Meati Foods
- Overviewing common pitfalls during scale-up
- Considerations that tend to be overlooked during scale-up
- Benchmarking what good looks like; setting realistic requirements in terms of time and cost to facilitate a tech transfer
12:30 pm Networking Lunch
1:30 pm IP Challenges in Alternative Proteins
- Eran Noah Director of Intellectual Property, Remilk
- Genetically-Modified-Organisms (GMOs) – new “composition-of-matter”
- Product composition vs. product formulation – eggs as proof-of-concept
- Innovative product vs. traditional product – organoleptic & rheologic, characterization & comparison
2:15 pm Case Study: Can Alternative Protein Deliver New Standards of Nutritional Value?
- Bryan Tracy Chief Executive Officer, SuperBrewed Food
- The pros and cons of drop-ins and replacements – “there’s reason to be whey and opportunity to beat whey?”
- What new nutritional aspects can alternatives deliver? Can we envision ingredients with better and less bad?
- Provided more alternatives and nutrition profiles, should we revisit nutrition labelling standards?
1:30 pm Panel Discussion: Investors’ Perspective: Are You the Billion Dollar Business?
- Stu Strumwasser Managing Director, Green Circle Capital Partners LLC
- Dan Altschuler Managing Partner, Unovis Asset Management
- Andrew Ive General Managing Partner, Big Idea Ventures
- What are the VCs looking for? How to have the right due diligence in place?
- Distinguishing what makes your start-up stand out in the room: strengthening your business plan through in-depth market research and USP of product
- Does pre-competitive collaboration exist in the alternative proteins market?
2:15 pm Farming Cows for the Steaks, or the (Eccentric) Milk: Biomass vs ‘Precision’ Fermentation
- Moran Farhi Vice President of Research, The Better Meat Co.
- Background and conceptual differences between fermentation for biomass production and specific compound in fungi
- Challenges and opportunities for R&D and innovation
- Overview of the differences in scaling up fermentation process for biomass production and specific compounds
2:30 pm Afternoon Tea & Networking
The Future of Fermentation-Enabled Alternative Proteins
3:15 pm The Future Growth of Alternative Protein in the Consumer Market
- Audrey Gyr Startup Innovation Specialist, The Good Food Institute
- Who will be the winner? Growth opportunities in meat, dairy, egg, and fish
- Comparison to the investment into fermentation-enabled alternative proteins vs cell and plant-based meat products
- Gaining subsidy to support the industry – how and when to ask?
3:45 pm Roundtable: United We Are Strong! But Do We Have Weaknesses?
- Anna El Tahchy Chief Technical Officer, Nourish Ingredients
- Establishing gaps in the market, where are we falling short?
- Which functionalities need to be addressed in the next 5 years to ensure the industries success?
- What must be done to gain consumer satisfaction?